Office of the Attorney General
Attorney General Conway Announces 2015 Keep Kentucky Kids Safe PSA Contest

Press Release Date:  Monday, September 21, 2015  
Contact Information:  Leland Hulbert
Deputy Communications Director
502-696-5659
 


Attorney General Jack Conway and his Keep Kentucky Kids Safe partners today announced the start of their annual prescription drug abuse prevention public service announcement (PSA) contest for Kentucky high school students.  The competition is part of Attorney General Conway’s statewide public awareness initiative to warn Kentucky kids about the dangers of misusing prescription drugs.

“Education is an integral part of our strategy to combat prescription drug abuse in Kentucky,” Attorney General Conway said.  “Our annual PSA competition provides students the opportunity to produce creative and informative public awareness videos, which are used to alert all Kentuckians to the heavy toll that prescription drug abuse is taking on families across the Commonwealth.  My hope is that through our Keep Kentucky Kids Safe initiative, we can save future generations from the deadly consequences of prescription pill and heroin abuse.”

Attorney General Conway’s video PSA competition is held in partnership with the Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy, the Kentucky Pharmacists Association (KPhA), the National Association of Drug Diversion Investigators (NADDI) and Operation UNITE.

As part of the competition, Kentucky high school students produce a 30-second video that shows the risks of prescription drug abuse.  The first-place winners, will share a $500 Amazon.com gift card generously donated by NADDI.  The runner-up will receive a $100 Amazon.com gift card donated by KPhA.

“KPhA is happy to participate in this contest again this year,” said Robert McFalls, KPhA Executive Director/CEO.  “It's a great way to involve the next generation in developing new ways to raise awareness of this epidemic.  Many of our members volunteer to educate the public about the dangers of prescription drug abuse and counsel patients on correct usage of the medications.  This contest allows KPhA an additional approach to promote safe prescription drug use.”

The deadline for submitting a video is Friday, November 20, 2015. Winners will be announced on December 2, 2015.

Last year’s winning video was produced by a group of students from Atherton High School in Jefferson County.  Students may find out how to submit a video and view past winning entries by visiting Attorney General Conway’s prescription drug abuse prevention page at http://ag.ky.gov/rxabuse/Pages/rxpsacontest.aspx.
 
Winning videos are posted on the Attorney General’s website and distributed to television stations across the Commonwealth by the Kentucky Office of Drug Control Policy.

Prescription Drug Diversion Efforts
Attorney General Conway launched Kentucky’s first and only statewide prescription drug abuse prevention task force in August 2009.  The task force has been involved in more than 450 prescription drug diversion investigations, including Operation Flamingo Road, the state’s largest prescription drug bust that resulted in the arrest of more than 500 people.

In 2010, General Conway launched the Keep Kentucky Kids Safe initiative with the Kentucky Justice Cabinet and its Office of Drug Control Policy, the Kentucky Pharmacists Association, the National Association of Drug Diversion Investigators (NADDI), Operation UNITE and concerned parents. Since its launch, Attorney General Conway and his partners have warned more than 45,000 students, teachers, and parents about the dangers of prescription drug abuse.

General Conway also worked closely with Governor Beshear, House Speaker Stumbo, Senate President Stivers and other lawmakers to win passage of landmark legislation to prevent the abuse and diversion of prescription pills in the Commonwealth.  Since passage of HB 1, overdose deaths in Kentucky declined for the first time in a decade and half of the state’s pain management clinics have closed their doors.

In January 2014, General Conway announced that more than $32 million recovered in settlements with two pharmaceutical companies is being used throughout Kentucky to expand substance abuse treatment.  The settlement funds are being used to create a new treatment center for adults, treatment scholarships, a grant program for new juvenile treatment beds and/or centers, and expanded treatment services for juveniles.

In addition to the work being done here in the Commonwealth, Attorney General Conway reached across party lines to work with Attorney General Pam Bondi in Florida to ensure that her state implemented an electronic prescription drug monitoring system similar to Kentucky’s KASPER system.  Together they have worked to shut down the pill pipeline between Florida and Kentucky and to see that all 50 states have prescription drug monitoring programs in place and that all of the programs can share data across state lines.